Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Get Paid to Do This!


So, 4H! I grew up in what may be considered a "Hick" town. For those who are unaware of the meaning of the word, I have tapped into the best resources to help us! From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hick may refer to:
–noun 1. an unsophisticated, boorish, and provincial person; rube. –adjective 2. pertaining to or characteristic of hicks: hick ideas. 3. located in a rural or culturally unsophisticated area: a hick town.

Anyway! Or Anyways...whichever you prefer...

Growing up in Snowflake I was a proud participant of the 4H program, which, for all I knew was about raising pigs, steers, sheep, and rabbits. Raise a pig, sell it at the County Fair auction, put the money in the mission fund....done deal! This program is all about raising youth!

Only recently I found out about the 4H Mentoring Program(Youth and Families with Promise). I then got excited about it and became a coordinator in charge of recruiting youth to participate in the program, involving their families. I also recruit volunteers to be a role model and mentor for the youth. My job is to make sure that my site, or elementary school that I preside over, has 20-30 families and the same amount of volunteers participating in the program. I am in charge of running an afterschool program for the kids once a week. Our Non-profit organization puts on 2-3 fun and exciting activities a month to promote stronger family bonds.

Our most recent events included: Comedy Sportz (an impromptu act), goofy golfing, ultimate frisbee, a rock wall climbing event, and always, lots of food!

7 Comments:

At May 7, 2009 at 6:08 AM , Blogger sakmb said...

This sounds like a great thing to be doing. I hope you enjoy your work.

 
At May 7, 2009 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Kendra said...

This is Jeremy: I just wanted to comment, so you would have more comments :) We miss you too! We'll see you in Kansas!

 
At May 7, 2009 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Princesspan said...

we did 4H too :) I won first place in the singing contest. good memories...haha
Trina

 
At May 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you the one in red shorts on the wall?

 
At May 16, 2009 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Carianne King said...

Troy! I'm so glad you are enjoying your job! That is some of the best work out there, don't you think?! The most fun, AND most rewarding! :D I'm sure you're great at it!

 
At May 17, 2009 at 2:20 PM , Blogger britandmat said...

Reading that reminded me of when we were in big brothers big sisters with spencer i think was his name. sounds like the perfect job for ya. my wife found you on here so i thought i would drop ya a line to say hello hope all is groovy.

 
At November 23, 2009 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Stacie S-H said...

4H is cool. I never did it but my cousins did and I went to some 4H meetings before. I was telling someone here in AZ about it and they were like what..huh? what is 4H!? I was shocked..thought it was like Girl Scouts or something & that everyone knew about it. Lol!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home