Friday, November 6, 2009

Reality check?

I was told by a female today that I am mediocre, complacent, unambitious, immature and satisfied with my low level of performance. Also that I was hypocritical in thinking that I shouldn't expect so much from a girl, when I don't live up to those expectations myself. Well, she didn't say it quite like that... but still, Talk about a reality check!

There are three approaches to reacting to such criticism. One, I could ignore it because I don't have the ambition to change, and I am too mediocre and immature to realize what excellence would be like. Two, I could ignore it and realize that I never am mediocre, complacent, and immature. Or three, realize and apply the significant quote that says, " If any speak ill of thee, flee home to thy own conscience and examine thy heart. If thou be guilty it is just correction. If not guilty, it is fair instruction. Make use of both so shall thou distill honey out of gall and out of an open enemy create a secret friend." So, I will take this as just correction and fair instruction, accepting that at times I have fallen short and have been mediocre and complacent. However, because I am an ambitious man who desires to be the best that I can, I will take this moment to reevaluate and recommit to being the man that I know I can be.

I have always loved the quote, " What e'er thou art, Act well thy part. Question to self...Self, what art thou?! Do it well!

When I feel the need to make corrections I always love the pep talk given from Joseph Smith. " Let all the works which I have appointed unto you, be continued on and not cease; and let your diligence, and your perseverance, and patience and your works be redoubled, and you shall in nowise lose your reward... Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren,: and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice and be exceedingly glad."

I am grateful for the reality check, which has helped me to reestablish a firm commitment to be the man that I know I can and should be. It is my resolve to be removed from complacent mediocrity.

3 Comments:

At November 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM , Blogger David McCleve said...

That's pretty intense. I just had a conversation two days ago where you brought up as an example of the opposite of what she accused you of. Just keep on being above average, while constantly looking for ways to be better, ambitious, and mature. And of course, continue to expect that from the women you date.

 
At November 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM , Blogger Julie Moore said...

Hey there, bro!! Whew...what a critique! You must have really ticked this girl off! *haha* I loved your thoughts, though. I'm going to have to re-read it a few times so that I, too, can avoid mediocre complacency and (most of all) hypocricy. I love you sooooo much! Good luck in all you do, brother.

 
At November 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Jeremy said...

Woman! WOOOOOMAN; WOOOOOOOOOOOOOMAAAAAN.
You weren’t the man…
you can’t understand…
She’s so ambitious
and likes DUCKS
Sorry
This Poem SUCKS
Hey Jane, get me off this crazy thing called love! (then you blow out the candle)
Sorry, Kendra and I watched “So I Married An Ax Murder” on Halloween… I guess it’s still stuck in my head. I hope this helps make you feel better :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home