Thursday, February 25, 2010

Seeing the End from the Beginning

When all else fails, turn to the Brethren! Unfortunately, it literally was after, "all else had failed." In the future I need to be quicker to seek out wisdom and guidance from inspired men of God who offer direction, allowing me to be comforted in words of truth.

I just realized that recently I have been "caught up" in the moment, causing me to lose perspective of the "Big Picture." Quotes from the brethren came to my mind as I thought about the consequences of my actions. It is great to have a knowledge that there are men called of God who have provided answers and insights to the issues of life. Here are some of the quotes that came to mind, that have helped me understand my situation better.

Elder Boyd K. Packer has stated, “Faith, to be faith, … must go beyond that for which there is confirming evidence … must go into the unknown … must walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness”

Elder Bednar expounds upon what Elder Packer mentioned. Saying that, "Assurance and hope make it possible for us to walk to the edge of the light and take a few steps into the darkness—expecting and trusting the light to move and illuminate the way. The combination of assurance and hope initiates action in the present.

Faith as the evidence of things not seen looks to the past and confirms our trust in God and our confidence in the truthfulness of things not seen. We stepped into the darkness with assurance and hope, and we received evidence and confirmation as the light in fact moved and provided the illumination we needed. The witness we obtained after the trial of our faith (see Ether 12:6) is evidence that enlarges and strengthens our assurance.

President Uchtdorf relates a story from his childhood to help illustrate this point. "When I was 11 years old, my family had to leave East Germany and begin a new life in West Germany overnight. Until my father could get back into his original profession as a government employee, my parents operated a small laundry business in our little town. I became the laundry delivery boy. To be able to do that effectively, I needed a bicycle to pull the heavy laundry cart. I had always dreamed of owning a nice, sleek, shiny, sporty red bicycle. But there had never been enough money to fulfill this dream. What I got instead was a heavy, ugly, black, sturdy workhorse of a bicycle. I delivered laundry on that bike before and after school for quite a few years. Most of the time, I was not overly excited about the bike, the cart, or my job. Sometimes the cart seemed so heavy and the work so tiring that I thought my lungs would burst, and I often had to stop to catch my breath. Nevertheless, I did my part because I knew we desperately needed the income as a family, and it was my way to contribute.

If I had only known back then what I learned many years later—if I had only been able to see the end from the beginning—I would have had a better appreciation of these experiences, and it would have made my job so much easier.

Many years later, when I was about to be drafted into the military, I decided to volunteer instead and join the Air Force to become a pilot. I loved flying and thought being a pilot would be my thing.

To be accepted for the program I had to pass a number of tests, including a strict physical exam. The doctors were slightly concerned by the results and did some additional medical tests. Then they announced, "You have scars on your lung which are an indication of a lung disease in your early teenage years, but obviously you are fine now." The doctors wondered what kind of treatment I had gone through to heal the disease. Until the day of that examination I had never known that I had any kind of lung disease. Then it became clear to me that my regular exercise in fresh air as a laundry boy had been a key factor in my healing from this illness. Without the extra effort of pedaling that heavy bicycle day in and day out, pulling the laundry cart up and down the streets of our town, I might never have become a jet fighter pilot and later a 747 airline captain.

We don't always know the details of our future. We do not know what lies ahead. We live in a time of uncertainty. We are surrounded by challenges on all sides. Occasionally discouragement may sneak into our day; frustration may invite itself into our thinking; doubt might enter about the value of our work. In these dark moments Satan whispers in our ears that we will never be able to succeed, that the price isn't worth the effort, and that our small part will never make a difference. He, the father of all lies, will try to prevent us from seeing the end from the beginning.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are taught by prophets, seers, and revelators of our day. Their prophetic view helps you to see the end from the beginning.

The temple is the binding link between generations, in this life and for eternity. The house of the Lord helps you to see the end from the beginning.

The Lord wants you, my young friends, to desire with all your heart to keep the church standards and live by the gospel truths found in the scriptures. God will bless you and open the eyes of your understanding so you can see the end from the beginning.

I promise you today that when you follow this pattern, the Lord will help you to make more out of your life than you ever can by yourself. He will help you always to see the end from the beginning!"

These quotes from Apostles of the Lord help me realize that it takes faith, patience, and righteously living the gospel in order to one day see the end from the beginning.It is not until after the trial of my faith that I can receive this witness.

It is important for me to be patient and faithful, realizing that all things are done in the wisdom of God, who knows all things. Also, that whatever happens, I gain experience, which shall be for my good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home