Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sports Tribute



In the middle of a bleak and dreary winter I lay in the warmth of my bed fast asleep, when all of a sudden my enemy and friend continuously calls out to me, " errrrrrrr, errrrrrrrrr, errrrrrrrr, errrrrrrr." As I slowly come to my senses, I look at the cause of this alarming noise with hate and excitement, realizing that it is still pitch black outside. I  know that I have to go out into the freezing cold to scrape the snow and ice off of mom's car windshield. It is 5:30 AM, half awake-half asleep I attempt to dress myself fully for my seventh grade basketball practice. DEDICATION and SACRIFICE!

It happened just before my first varsity football game as a Junior with expectations to contribute as a receiver and kick returner. I was the kamikaze on the kickoff team. I ran down the field quickly and made a strong hit on the opposing kick returner, but felt an immense pain in my left hand, as it got sandwiched between two players, impacted with great force. We did another kickoff, and once again I ran down quickly to make another tackle. While running, I could feel and hear the bones in my hand cling together, knowing that my hand was broken; but that's football, and I wanted to make a tackle! As I made contact with the ballcarrier I tried to rap him up, but felt him slip out of my grip as I had no strength in my left hand. My season was basically over, although I still practiced with a cast for the love of the game. PAIN! 

Next season, in summer training, I would join many of my senior teammates to run stairs at the grand stands, like we had done in previous years. We woke up early in the morning to run sand hills and lift weights to be in the best shape possible. Puke hill! We had an awesome team! We dominated our opponents. I was able to contribute as a receiver, defensive back, and field goal kicker. From seventh grade until this point, we went undefeated. We were expected to be the State Champions. In our semi final game we unexpectedly lost the last 30 seconds of the fourth quarter. We were all devastated. It was over! Everything we had worked for, sweated, bled, and dreamt about was over! EMOTION, TEAM, WINNING, and LOSING. 

I love making an unbelievable catch in the outfield, turning a double play, striking out a batter, stepping into the batter's box, solidly connecting with a baseball for a base hit or a home run, stealing a base, throwing out an advancing runner, playing catch. BASEBALL.

I love dribbling between my legs or around my back, completing a fast break, making a three pointer, stealing the ball from an opponent, blocking a shot, making a fancy layup, buzzer beaters, half court shots, making a great pass, pick-in-roll, playing horse, best of ten, one-on-one, speed. BASKETBALL. 

I love catching a pass, making an interception, an open field tackle, recovering a fumble, kicking field goals, returning kicks, scoring a touchdown, a pick six, one handed catches, running a post and making a diving grab, working out with the team, tip drill, crack blocks, perfect spirals, onside kicks, the smell of the grass. FOOTBALL. 

I love acing an opponent with a drive serve, pinch shots, splat shots, kill shots, intense rallies, diving gets, playing with my dad and family, cut throat, watching an opponent dive and miss because it was a great shot, set ups off the back wall, trying to catch my breath just before serving for match point, RACQUETBALL. 

I could go on, but I'll spare the readers! 

I love the joy, pride, competition, sportsmanship, exercise, discipline, hard work, satisfaction, sweat, emotion, dedication, humorous trash talk, team camaraderie, athleticism, strategy, adrenaline, heart, persistence, road trips, championships. SPORTS.      


My motto has always been to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging.
-Hank Aaron, baseball
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
-Mohammad Ali, boxing

A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.
-Larry Bird, basketball
I miss all the shots I don't take.
-Wayne Gretzky, hockey
If you'll not settle for anything less than your best, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.
-Vince Lombardi, football

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

 

1 Comments:

At March 25, 2010 at 9:11 AM , Blogger Julie Moore said...

What a great essay! You're a great writer, Troy. That was impressive. I also was able to better understand your appreciation for the different sports. You REALLY LOVE sports!!! You're an insightful dude...SWEET!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home